German Bundestag, Plenarprotokoll 21/89, pp. 10933-10934.
Dear citizens. Frau President. Ladies and gentlemen.
The theme of public broadcasting [öffentlich-rechtlicher Rundfunk, ÖRR]
affects very many people. They are rightly discontent with an extremely
expensive broadcasting which we all need to finance and which at the same
time often reports without balance. When over 40 percent of the citizens no
longer trust the ÖRR along the path, then is clear: We need to change
things, and that we will do. I personally will also do that in my
homeland in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern if I should become the next
minister-president.
The question is: Is in the digital age still at all required so large a public
broadcasting? The media supply is meanwhile gigantic; there are many
free providers on the internet. And that is thus good. In this place, I thank
all who are active on the internet, for thus has been developed a corrective
for a public broadcasting very close to the state. I say in addition not
everything on the internet pleases me. Yet there is a distinction to public
broadcasting: I need not pay for it.
Martin Renner (AfD): So it is!
And exactly that is it. While we need pay for everything on the ZDF, even
for a dose of poison like Böhmermann, things can be freely received on the
internet. I can really understand anyone who no longer wants to finance
the format like “Böhmermann” and Co.
Maik Brückner (Linke): I don’t want to finance you!
That of course goes for me exactly so. Unfortunately, there are too many
examples of it.
examples of it.
It is ever again the problem in the public broadcasting: It plainly does not
report as it would be in its contract, objectively and balanced, but it ever
again has a slant. We see that in the talkshow invitations, in the ever again
tendentious reporting. For example, it was asserted in the NDR, in regards
me in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, our government program had a völkisch-
nationalistischen keynote – completely absurd!
Everyone who has seen the program sees it. Even other journalists shake
their heads over it. Or it is seen in the “Correctiv” fairy tales, or in the attack
on Elon Musk, he had called for a hunt of migrants. That completely
by-passes the truth. On that account: The ÖRR need not complain about its
loss of trust.
The citizens do not want to pay 9 billion euros so as to then receive
curated [betreutes] television. They want an honest service provider which
says to them what is, which shows them the entire picture in a debate so
that the people themselves can form an opinion. And here the public
broadcasting ever again fails.
Maik Brückner (Linke): Just don’t scream so!
In addition, the costs run out of control. When intendants earn more than
the Federal Chancellor – over 400,000 euros per year – that can be
explained to no one. We will change that.
We need also end the power of parties in the supervisory boards. I find
it an unequalled impudence that in regards to me in Mecklenburg-
Vorpommern, the Minister-president Schwesig deployed two active State
legislative politicians in the NDR broadcasting council. I find that simply
not suitable.
One thing is clear, ladies and gentlemen. If the AfD in the autumn
overtakes responsibility in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, then there will be
reforms. For the broadcasting clearly needs to become cheaper. It needs
to guarantee a balanced reporting. And the partisan clique at the
broadcasting and administration council needs to stop.
Therefore, my promise: As minister-president, I will directly after
overtaking office cancel the NDR broadcasting contract
Vice-president Josephine Ortleb: Your speaking time is
at an end.
because it is necessary.
[trans: tem]